Friday, July 11, 2008

Laura's Barn Night

Tonight Laura actually pleaded and begged to go to the barn with me. This was not a "get to ride" kind of night, as we have had rain all day, and it is still sprinkling tonight. She still insisted that she wanted to go. I was gathering my pitchfork and wheelbarrow to clean stalls, and I hear "I want to help!" Now, any mother of a little one around the barn knows this is more work than help. But they have to start somewhere.

As I was teaching her the finer points of scooping poop, it reminded me of the same experience I had with her sister just a couple of years ago. I have forgotten after 30 years of cleaning stalls, what pride you can take in hunting down all of the poop and leaving a pristine stall behind for your horse. I had to teach her the scoop method, and then the shake. For any of you horse novices, you are forbidden from tossing all of the golden sawdust! As I was teaching I realized it was more of a bounce of the fork, rather than a shake. She was proudly discovering all of the hidden treasures in the stall, and one particular find she said, "Come here little fella." I had to stifle my laughter so she could scoop with pride.

This is a very atypical Friday night for a little Southern Belle I'm sure, but for this momma it was pretty near perfect.

No comments: